This small building is often described as the most photographed site on Mount Desert Island. It was constructed during the 1780s by John Somes, son of Abraham Somes, who settled in the village in 1761.
Used at various times thoroughout its history as a cobbler’s shop, post office, and a museum, the building also served as the Town Office for Mount Desert during the 19th century and until 1911. Selectmen are elected by the voters in a town to conduct official business between annual Town Meetings.
Crossing the mill stream between the Somesville Selectmen’s Building and the Museum is the Thaddeus Shepley Somes Memorial Bridge built in 1981 to honor a descendant of Abraham Somes.
Open June through September 4th: Sunday through Saturday, 10 am to 4 pm
No charge, but donations for the care of the Somesville Selectmen’s Building and Bridge are appreciated.
From Bar Harbor, take Route 233 to the intersection with Route 198. Turn right and proceed to the traffic light in Somesville. Turn left on Route 102. Proceed one-half mile to Oak Hill Road. Turn right on Oak Hill Road. The parking lot is on your immediate left.