Keep
Cultural History Project
Houses and Outbuildings

Houses of Mount Desert Island

part of the Mount Desert Island Cultural History Project

(updated 15 June 2014)

Welcome

to the Houses and Outbuildings of Mount Desert Island home page, part of the Mount Desert Island Cultural History Project.

Purpose of this web page:

The purpose of this web page is to present information about houses and outbuildings on Mount Desert Island. These houses differ from the named cottages (see the MDI cottage web page) primarily in size and cost and were the habitation of the year-round resident. Many (most?) of these are now represented by a cellar hole. The entries below are by the name of either the most recent resident(s) or by the best-known resident(s).

How to contribute:

All information (including images) should be e-mailed to museum@mdihistory.org or sent by traditional mail to MDI Houses, c/o Mount Desert Island Historical Society; P. O. Box 653; Mount Desert, ME 04660.


Click on the name of the town you are interested in, or scroll down to see information for all the towns on Mount Desert Island.


Bar Harbor

Back to top

Stone Barn Farm
2010 May 13: barn
2010 May 13: plaque

Mount Desert

Back to top

Abraham Somes III house
1822: built by/for John Somes as a wedding gift for son Abraham Somes III
on National Register of Historic Places (4 March 1975).
Isaac Somes house
1815 (in use), 1828 (completed)
on National Register of Historic Places (4 March 1975).
John M. Noyes house
1836–1838 (specific date uncertain): built for John M. Noyes, husband of Emily Somes
on National Register of Historic Places (4 March 1975).
Lewis Somes house
1840s (specific date uncertain): built by/for Daniel Somes Jr., who gave it to Lewis Somes, his brother
on National Register of Historic Places (4 March 1975)
Mount Desert House
built by/for Daniel Somes and operated as “The Tavern”
inherited by Daniel Somes Jr. and renamed “The Mount Desert House”
on National Register of Historic Places (4 March 1975)
Nathan Salisbury house
ca. 1850 (specific date uncertain)
on National Register of Historic Places (4 March 1975).

Southwest Harbor

Back to top

374 Seawall Road
1837: built
Augustus Clark house
1903: built by/for Augustus Clark
1923: purchased by Jesse N. Mills
2010 September 12: house
Carroll Homestead
1825: built by/for Daniel Somes. This was the home of succeeding generations of the Carroll family until 1917. The house, along with 40.5 acres, is now part of Acadia National Park.
1925 November 26: centennial celebration (part 1, part 2), reported in The Bar Harbor Times, Wednesday, 2 December 1925, page 1, column 4
2013 July 8: house
Jonas Corson house (114 Main Street) [information and image courtesy of Mary Holway]
ca. 1839: built for Jonas and Martha Curtis (Wasgatt) Corson (“After the foundation was built and the timbers prepared for the building, there was a ‘raising’ and friends and neighbors came to help. So many willing helpers came that the frame was raised and the boarding done in one day.” [from page 129 of Mrs. Seth S. Thornton’s 1938 book Traditions and Records of Southwest Harbor and Somesville – Mount Desert Island, Maine])
before 1860: purchased by Samuel Sawyer Rumill
1880 May: purchased by Lyman L. Harper
1931: inherited by Leslie and Osmond “Ozzie” Harper, children of Lyman L. Harrper
date? (but soon after 1931): Leslie Harper purchased his brother’s half interest
1964 (after Leslie Harper’s death): ownership passed to Osmond Harper
1973: purchased by Bob and Marie Stanwood
1989: new cellar hole dug, and house moved back from road and rotated 180 degrees
2000 December: purchased by Mary Holway
2011: house
Lurvey Homestead
1900 April 7: burned (Bar Harbor Record, Wednesday, 11 April 1900, page 5, column 3)
Manchester (Moses and Elizabeth) house
Nathan Clark house
ca. 1814 (sign on house) or 1816 (Mrs. Seth Thornton’s 1938 book Traditions and Records of Southwest Harbor and Somesville – Mount Desert Island, Maine): built
1938: owned by Augustus Clark
2010 September 12: sign; house

Tremont


Back to top